Chilton, Wisconsin

When is city hall open?
Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except for holidays.
Where do I vote and what are the voting hours?

All City of Chilton residents vote at City Hall during elections. Polls open in Chilton at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. Click here for more information about voting.


In-Person Absentee Voting at Chilton City Hall Clerk's Office (Early Voting) 

You can also vote absentee at 42 School Street, Chilton, WI. Hours the clerk's office is open are Monday thru Friday 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM. In-person absentee voting (also known as early voting) runs on weekdays for two weeks before an election, ending at 5 p.m. or the close of business (whichever is later) on the Friday before the election.  For the 2014 General Election, the dates are:

 October 20 to 31 (General Election)



What are the city's winter parking rules?

According to the City of Chilton Municipal Code in Chapter 4, the following restrictions are placed on any vehicle between November 1 and extending to April 15:


1.       No person shall park or leave standing any vehicle or equipment upon any of the streets or alleyways of the City between 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.

2.       Alternate parking is required for vehicles in residential areas during the daytime.


Alternate parking means on even numbered calendar days a vehicle must be legally parked on the side of the street with even house numbers; on odd numbered calendar days a vehicle must be legally parked on the side of the street with odd house numbers.

When does snow need to be removed from sidewalks?

5.06 SNOW AND ICE REMOVAL. (Ord. No. 1096 1/18/2011)

(1) The owner of any lot or lots abutting a sidewalk in the City right-of-way shall keep the same clear of snow and ice to the width of such sidewalk at all times at the owner’s expense. It shall be the judgment of the Director of Public Works or designee whether or not the sidewalk is considered to be adequately cleared. (Ord. No. 767 1/5/93)

(2) Residents of the City of Chilton shall be required to remove snow or ice within 36 hours after a snowfall, sleet or succession of drifting. If the owner has not cleared the sidewalk within 36 hours, the Director of Public Works or designee shall have the sidewalk cleared at the owner’s expense. The expense thereof shall be paid by the property owner at a cost established by the Department of Public Works per lineal foot of lot frontage, per cleanup. The clerk shall invoice each property owner. If the invoice remains unpaid then the provisions in (3) shall apply. (Ord. #523 12/4/79, Ord. #546 1/20/81, Ord. #569 3/3/82 & Ord. #1012 4/3/07)

(3) The Director of Public Works shall, pursuant to Wisconsin Statutes, Sec. 66.0907(5) keep an accurate account of the expenses of clearing or removing such snow and ice in front of each lot or parcel of land, and shall report the same to the City Treasurer who shall annually prepare a statement of the expense so incurred in front of each lot or parcel of land and report the same to the City Clerk, and the amount therein charged to each lot or parcel of land shall be by such Clerk entered in the tax roll as a special tax against said lot or parcel of land, and the same shall be collected in all respects like other taxes upon real estate.

(4) Removal of snow and ice from public sidewalks or private property by the owner thereof shall not create a hazard to traffic by being deposited on the City streets.
It shall be the sole discretion of the Chief of Police and Director of Public Works whether or not a hazard to traffic exists by such a deposit. Upon written complaint of the Chief of Police filed with the Director of Public Works that such a hazard to traffic exists, the Director of Public Works shall have the authority to clear the area of the hazard. The expense thereof shall be paid by the property owner at the actual cost of the removal.

(5) The owner of any such lot may, no late than November 15 of each year, apply to the Director of Public Works on forms provided for such purpose, for an exemption from the removal of snow and ice upon such property for the forthcoming winter season. The Director of Public Works may, upon a showing of sufficient cause, including but not limited to, dead-end sidewalks, sidewalks not contiguous with abutting sidewalks and sidewalks not frequented by pedestrians, grant the exemption for the term of the forthcoming winter season. An exemption is valid only for the season granted and must be applied for each new winter season.

(6) In the event of a snow emergency and it becomes physically impractical to clear walks because of large amounts of snow, the Director of Public Works has authority to extend the 36 hour time limit in (2) above.

(7) The owner of any lot or lots abutting a sidewalk in the City shall take proper measures by way of sanding, salting or otherwise to insure that slippery or icy sidewalks are safe for pedestrian travel. A reasonable amount of sand may be procured from the City Garage for such purpose.

(8) The Council empowers the Director of Public Works to employ his authority at his discretion to eliminate any and all dangerous conditions and safety hazards. In the absence or inability of the Director of Public Works to so act, it shall be the duty of the Chief of Police to enforce this ordinance; in the absence of both; the Mayor shall appoint a proper City official or employee for this purpose.

(9) Notice of the provisions of this ordinance shall be published in the first yearly November edition of the City official newspaper, and no other notification shall be made to owners who are in violation of the ordinance.

What's the city's snow removal policy for roads?

Snowplowing operations generally do not begin unless snowfall accumulations measure more than two inches (less if combined with freezing and icing conditions) and snow is falling and/or weather forecasts call for additional accumulations.  For the complete snow and ice control policy, click here.

How do I learn more about voting including receiving an absentee ballot?

For general information about voting, click here.

City of Chilton residents who will not be able to vote on election day can receive an absentee ballot.

Chilton residents can receive the ballot through the following option:

  • First, voters need to register.Click here to download the form. Complete the form and return to Chilton City Hall. A photos ID is required.
  • By Mail: Residents can mail in a signed request form to the Chilton City Clerk’s office. Once the request is processed, a ballot would be received by return mail. To download the Application For Absentee Ballot (GAB-121), click here. In person: A ballot can be completed at Chilton City Hall prior to 5 p.m. on the day preceding the election.
  • Special provisions are made for hospitalized electors and sequestered jurors to request and vote by absentee ballot on Election Day.

For more information about absentee voting and voting in general in Chilton, contact City Hall at (920) 849-2451 or at

When is garbage picked up?

The City provides collection of refuse from residents (and business without dumpsters) on a weekly basis. Garbage is picked up by Advanced Disposal each Tuesday (except if Monday is a holiday--Memorial Day, for instance. Then garbage is picked up on Wednesday).

Garbage must be placed in the automated container at the curb not prior to 2:00 p.m. Mondays, the day before pickup. Automated container needs to be removed from the curb the day of pickup. Contact City Hall to order the automated container.

Presently, there are three (3) size automated containers available: 40-gal. $105.00/yr.; 60-gal. $123.00/yr. and 90-gal. $200.00/yr. These fees are placed on the tax roll and collected through a special charge on the property tax bill.

Note: There is a city ordinance against throwing yard waste away with the weekly garbage pickup. All yard waste should be taken to the city garage and deposited in the specially-marked bins. Those who do not comply shall receive a fine. Questions should be directed to City Hall at 849-2451.

Note: Residents need to properly dispose of any "sharps" as defined by the State of Wisconsin as needles, syringes and lancets.

What's recyclable and when is it picked up?

Please go to Residents on home page. Garbage and Recycling Section.


Where can I drop off unused medicine?

A Safe Drug Drop Box for leftover medications is now located in the lobby of  the Calumet County Sheriff’s Department.  It is available to the public 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Click here for more information.



Where do I apply for a dog license?

At Chilton city hall. Dog owners are required within 30 days after a dog reaches 4 months of age, shall annually pay the dog license tax provided in Sec. 174.05, Wisconsin Stats. and obtain a license from the City Treasurer at the City Hall.

  • The dog license tax shall be $3.00 for a neutered male dog, or spayed female dog, upon presentation of evidence that the dog is neutered or spayed, and $8.00 for an unneutered male dog or unspayed female dog.
  • LICENSE YEAR. The license year commences January 1 and ends on the following December 31.
  • LATE FEES. The Treasurer shall assess and collect a late fee of $5.00 from any owner of a dog five months of age or over, if the owner fails to obtain a license prior to March 31 of each year, or within 30 days of acquiring ownership of a licensed dog, or if the owner fails to obtain a license on or before the dog reached licensable age. All late fees received or collected shall be retained by the Treasurer as revenue of the City.

IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENT. In addition to payment of the required dog license tax, the owner must present evidence that the dog is currently immunized against rabies before receiving a license for the dog according to WI Statute 95.12(2).

What's the city's policy on yard and brush waste?

The City of Chilton picks up brush at the curbside. Here are the regulations:

  • Brush will be picked up once every month. The pickup date is the fourth Monday of the month. City residents need to call City Hall to schedule City crews to pick up the brush by 10 a.m. the day of pickup.
  • Brush is picked up for residential properties only.  No commercial property pick ups are done.  Brush should be no more than 4-6 inches in diameter.  Brush should be piled parallel to the street with the cut ends lying in the same direction for ease in handling.  If brush is not piled correctly, the City will not pick it up and the property owner will be sent a letter notifying them of the correct procedure to follow.
  • It is the responsibility of the homeowner to dispose of brush from trees that are taken down on the resident's property.
  • Yard waste, including grass clippings, leaves and small branches will no longer be picked up at the curb side.
  • City residents are encouraged to haul their own yard waste to the city garage, located on 908 S. Maple St., behind Kwik Trip, where the yard waste will be turned into compost. Yard waste cannot be thrown away with the regular garbage.

The 2018 City Brush Pickup Dates Are:  

JAN 22

FEB 26

MAR 26

APR 23

MAY 29*

JUN 25

JUL 23

AUG 27


OCT 22

NOV 26

DEC 26* (date change because of holiday conflict)

Can I trim a tree in a public right-away?

A tree planting or removal permit is required for planting, removal, or pruning of more than 20% of any tree within the public right-of-way. Work cannot be started until the permit is issued. This permit is subject to all of the rules and regulations pertaining to Chapter 5, Section 5.08 of the City of Chilton Municipal Code.


The following steps are required in order to plant or remove a tree within the public right-of-way:

  • Mark the area where the tree is to be planted or removed
  • Call Diggers Hotline at 1-800-242-8511 to locate all underground and aboveground utilities.
  • Contact City Hall at 920-849-2451 to schedule an inspection of the marked area.

Click here to download the tree planting/removal form.

Are recreational fires allowed in Chilton?

Short answer is yes. However there are regulations in what is considered a recreational fire. Below is the city's ordinance on recreational fires.



(1)  INTENT.  The intent of this section is to establish guidelines for the use and construction of recreational fires and outdoor cooking apparatuses.




(a)  Recreational Fire - Any fire such as a campfire or cooking fire, fire pit or portable fire container for the purpose of recreational and personal enjoyment.


(b)  Outdoor cooking apparatus - A charcoal grill, gas grill, smoker, camping stove or similar apparatus designed exclusively for the cooking of food. 


(c)  Structure.  (Structure is defined in Municipal Code Chapter 16)

Anything erected, the use of which requires more or less permanent location on the ground; or attached to something having a permanent location on the ground.  This shall include signs.


(3)  GENERAL REQUIREMENTS.  Recreational fires shall comply with the following requirements:


                (a)  No recreational fire shall be closer than twenty (20) feet from any structure.


                (b)  No recreational fire shall be in an area larger than 42 inches by 42 inches.


                (c)  Any pit used for a recreational fire shall have a minimum depth of 10 inches and shall be covered when not in use.  This pit shall be surrounded on the outside by a noncombustible material such as concrete block or rock for a 12-inch width all around the perimeter.


                (d)  All recreational fires shall be contained within the pit or other container in which the combustible material is located.


                (e)  All recreational fires shall be supervised at all times by at least one person who age is 16 years or older.  If not supervised, such recreational fire must be extinguished.


                (f)  Combustible material used in recreational fires shall not include rubbish, garbage, treated wood, hazardous materials, flammable or combustible liquids, vinyl, plastic or rubber materials.


(g)  Police Personnel shall have the right to require any fire to be immediately extinguished if the smoke is offensive to surrounding residents or creates a hazardous condition.


(h)  Recreational fires utilizing a portable fire container shall be located on the ground, asphalt, concrete, gravel and paver bricks.


(i)  Recreational fires are permitted between the hours of

                                1:00 PM to 10:00 PM         Sunday – Thursday           

                                1:00 PM to midnight           Friday and Saturday            

                                Any day/evening preceding a federal holiday: 1:00 PM to midnight



                The requirements described in section (3) for recreational fires shall not apply to any outdoor cooking apparatus.  Such apparatus shall only be used outdoors at ground level.


For More Information Contact the Chief of Police

at (920)849-4855.

How can I find the assessed value of property in Chilton?

There are two web sites that can help. Accurate Appraisal is the city's assessing firm. The company lists the information on their web site by clicking here.

The Calumet County web site allows persons to access assessment information not only in Chilton but property in all of Calumet County. The web site address is:

How do I obtain a bartender's license?

The Operator's (Bartender's) license is a 2-year license expiring June 30.  The non-refundable fee is $30.00 and must be paid at the time of application.


The application must be filled out completely and must be notarized.  Notary Public service is available in our office.


A record check will be completed by the Police Department. 

The Police Department will approve or deny the application based on information the applicant has provided on the application.  If the record check reveals information which was not reported on your application, your application may be rejected


State law requires that applicants complete an approved Responsible Beverage Server's course if they have neither held a license nor completed the course within the last 2 years.  Proof must be supplied before a license will be issued.  The course is offered Fox Valley Technical College for a fee of $14.05.  For questions about the course, call FVTC at (920) 849-4131.


For additional information about licensing or to obtain applications, contact the Clerk/Treasurer's office at (920) 849-2451. To obtain an application on line, click here.


The sale of Intoxicating Liquor and Fermented Malt Beverages is regulated by chapter 125 of the Wisconsin Statutes and Chapter 6 of the City of Chilton Municipal Code.  Both are available at the Chilton Public Library. Wisconsin Statutes can also be accessed on the internet at  Chapter 6 of the City of Chilton Municipal Code can also be accessed by clicking here.

How do I purchase a Memorial Tree?

A Memorial Tree is a perfect way to honor a person and help the community. For a minimum of $225, a 2 to 2.5 inch diameter tree will be planted in the name of the honoree at one of Chilton's parks. Buyers can select a type of tree or the Chilton Tree Board will assist in making the tree selection.

In addition, people can purchase either a memorial leaf and/or a memorial plaque for an additional charge. For more information contact City Hall at 849-2451.

How do I receive a bicycle license?
All residents in the City of Chilton are required to purchase bicycle licenses for their bikes. This one-time license and registration is done to protect the owner in case the bicycle is ever lost or stolen. The license cost is $5. To download a bicycle license and registration form, click here. Payments are made at City Hall.
How do I report a street light that is not working properly?
If a resident sees a street light in their area that is out or flickers, etc., they can either report it to WPS directly through their web site at or they can call City Hall at 849-2451.
Please have the following information ready when contacting WPS or City Hall:
1. Location of the pole: Examples would be "Corner of Manhattan Street and Memorial Drive" or closest home address to pole.
2. Pole #: A standard pole number has six digits with two numbers, two letters and two numbers (example: 55EE43). The number can be found on the pole. 
3. What's the Problem: Light is out, light flickers off/on, etc.
How do I run for public office?
The city of Chilton elects a mayor and eight alderperson (two for each of the city's four wards). Term for these positions are two years. To download an informational booklet on running for public office in Chilton, click on "candidate handbook" below.
How does one request a property rezoning?

Applicant meets with City Administrative Staff to discuss ordinance requirements and procedure for rezoning.


Applicant submits application form, provided by City Clerk, along with $200.00 fee for rezoning. Click here for the application form.


Staff reviews request, consults with other City Depts., submits report to Plan Commission for recommendation.


Staff schedules public hearing, publishes Class II notice in official newspaper (two insertions), notifies adjacent property owners within 200 feet.


Plan Commission reviews requests and makes recommendation to Common Council.


Common Council reviews the Plan Commission recommendation. A public hearing is held 15 days after the last Class II notice has been published in the newspaper. Common Council makes the final decision. If approved, an ordinance is adopted.


Rezoning approved, applicant notified in writing by City Clerk and may proceed with other required approvals.




Rezoning denied and applicant notified in writing by City Clerk.

What are the Department of Motor Vehicle hours?

The Division of Motor Vehicles service is now located at 104 Southside Shopping Center. It will be open for business Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Chilton DMV service center offers driver license, ID products, and disabled parking ID cards. More information can be viewed online at

What permit do I need if I want to close a street to hold a special event?

Any party who wishes to conduct a "Special Event" utilizing a street closer or a "Diverted Use" will need to complete a Diverted Use Special Event Permit Application (located at bottom of this section) describing the proposed event. The completed Application, Application Fee, and Proof of Liability Insurance for the event in the amount of at least $1,000,000 should be returned to City Hall at 42 School Street, Chilton, WI, at leastthirty (30) days prior to the event. The Director of Public Works, Fire Chief, and Police Chief will review the Application and give their recommendation to the Common Council.

HOME | CITY GOVERNMENT | City Departments | Quotes - BIDS - Equipment For Sale | Residents | Events | Municipal Codes | Chilton Public Library | Jobs Available | Contact Us | Disclaimer | FAQ | Chilton Housing Authority
Printer-friendly Version